Meet Lovetta Ferrante
1) Introduce yourself to us, (i.e., how long have you been quilting, do you have a day job, do you enjoy other hobbies)
- My college major was Home Economics at Texas Wesleyan in Fort Worth. We studied tailoring, flat-pattern design, as well as advanced nutrition. I promised myself I would never complain about the cost of a coat after I finished a white-wool car coat. There were so many tiny stitches in the shoulders of that thing! (Guess that is why I machine stitch my bindings.) And, oh yes, we went directly to Jack in the Box after nutrition class!
- I have made clothing since 12 years of age.
- Working career was at Deloitte, an international-accounting firm. My last role was overseeing three offices. Downtown, North Dallas and Las Colinas. When I announce my retirement after 26 years, one of my property manager, Gina Weems, invited me to join her to attending a meeting at DMQG. It is all her fault!!!
- I am a happy quilter.
2) How long have you been a member of DMQG, what/who inspired you join our group, are you a member of another guild as well?
- I joined DMQG June or July of 2010.
3) What is your current board position? What other roles have you had with DMQG?
- Quilt Show Chair
- Charitable Initiative
4) Do you do social media? if so do you have an instagram handle, or would you welcome other members to follow you on Facebook?
- No Instagram
- Yes, I would welcome members to follow me on Facebook
5) Tell us about your favorite quilt/sewing project.
- I have not shown it yet, but Amy Ellis’ Quill. Made completely of Grunge fabric and stitched with variegated thread in 1” horizontal increments.
6) What inspires you to create?
7) Are you a Fan girl/boy (i.e., is there a quilty person you love and enjoy stalking their work)? Tell us about them.
- Sorry, none.
8) Do you enter quilt shows? Have you received and ribbons? Tell us about them.
- Nope 😊
9) Have you made friendships through DMQG. Tell us who they are, we would love to know.
- YES! Oh my goodness, I never dreamed of making such good friends. Truly a blessing.
- Charlotte Cronkhite, Carol Dennis, Laurie Thompson, Chris Thiede
- Lee Jenkins, Jamie Moilanen, Mary Margaret Thompson, Marsha Meeks
- Many, many more
10) When you complete your quilts what becomes of them? Give away? Keep? Sell? Show?
- Gifted and sold
11) In what room of the house do you sew? Tell us about your sewing/quilting/crafting space.
- Nice size L-shaped room
- Large enough to accommodate a 54” dual-sides sewing table, Tiara 16 inch, 48x96 cutting tabled purchased from Hancocks when they closed
- Has built-in design wall (with purple felt!)
- Double windows and an exterior entrance for clients
- New 42” wall-mount tv and new tract lighting above the cutting table
- Walk in closet with shelving – accommodates fabric bolts and sewing notions
12) What is your current fabric obsession (color, line, style, etc.)?
- Bright colors, especially purples and greens
13) Favorite quilting blogs?
- No blog, but when I need to laugh I watch Midnight Quilt Show.
14) Why modern quilting? As a quilt artist, what more would you like the Dallas Modern Quilt Guild to do to encourage/inspire/educate quilters?
- Modern, because of the fabric designs and colors.
- Start a beginners’ class for “brand-new” quilters. Yes, they can take a class somewhere, but having a fellow member creates a friendship, bond.
15) Please share photo’s of you and some of your favorite projects, friends, family or pets.
|Lovetta and Chris|
|Ella Bella and Maverick|
|Zorro and Maverick|
|Chris with Tango, Zorro, and Maverick|
|Laurie and Lovetta on their recent European trip|
|Lovetta and Beth volunteering at Festival of Ideas|
|#Quiltsforpeace distributing quilts to the injured at DART PD|