Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Officer Spotlight

Meet Lee Jenkins

1)  Introduce yourself to us, (i.e., how long have you been quilting, do you have a day job, do you enjoy other hobbies)

Hi I’m Lee Jenkins,  when I was a little girl I used to cross stitch and crochet with my Grandmother, I would beg to spend time with her, she and I had the best time together.  She was an amazing woman, blind since she was 13yo she never let that handicap get in her way.  She taught me to crochet and while I did my crafts she would work on sewing quilt squares together and have me identify the colors for her.  Occasionally she would start another row while I was not around and she would be very upset when I explained she had just sewn a row of the same colors together.  My very favorite quilt is the one she made for me from the polyester squares that were actually part of the scraps from her clothing.  The fact that she never allowed her handicap to get in her way has pushed me to always have an "I can do it" attitude. It should also be noted that she was a founding member and president several times of the Texas Federation of the Blind.  I grew up assisting her at her meetings and at their board meetings (I truly enjoyed this time with her as well).  

I started quilting a little over 4 years ago in the hopes of spending more quality time with my nieces.  In fact before I could quilt I had to learn to sew, my nieces and I learned to sew together by taking classes at Urban Spools. My 2 oldest nieces Natalie (22) and Cadence (15) are the ones that are interested in quilting at the moment. Although, I just asked Keeley (10) if she was ready to make her first quilt and she said, yes!!!  Yay!!!  


My day job is as a hair colorist at Sedona Salon.  Fun fact, I had to change my name to Lee when I started working at Toni & Guy, I'm actually Jennifer Lee Jenkins (I do prefer Lee).  I am so fortunate to have found my dream job early in life.  I think of this as my first passion and quilting is my second. 

Who has time for other hobbies?  Quilting has taken over my life :P

2)  How long have you been a member of DMQG, what/who inspired you join our group, are you a member of another guild as well?

I have been a member of DMQG for 4years.  Michelle Kitto suggested I come to a meeting and I was hooked from the first moment I saw the beautiful quilts Doris Kennedy made at show and tell, they were so inspiring.

I am also a member of the Quilter’s Guild of Dallas 

3) What is your current board position?  What other roles have you had with DMQG? 

I am the 2016-2018 president of DMQG.  I was the retreat coordinator for a little over a year before that, in a position that was hard to fill since Rachel Bryan was a hard act to follow. 

4)  Do you do social media?  if so do you have an instagram handle, or would you welcome other members to follow you on Facebook?

I do both and you are welcome to friend me on FB or follow me @diddersworld

5) Tell us about your favorite quilt/sewing project.

Whatever project I am currently working on is my favorite.  Including if I am quilting a quilt for someone else, their quilt always becomes my new favorite.  

6) What inspires you to create?

Pretty much everyone.  I love seeing what others are making and always find something that inspires me from their work. Modern, traditional, or Art quilt I love them all.  

7) Are you a Fan girl/boy (i.e., is there a quilty person you love and enjoy stalking their work)?  Tell us about them. 

Angela Walters and Tula Pink.  In fact I admire them so much I even own one of their original autographed quilts.

8) Do you enter quilt shows?  Have you received and ribbons?  Tell us about them. 

I have entered the Texas State Fair on 3 occasions and have 2- 2nd place and 1- honorable mention ribbons.  Last year I received a 1st place ribbon from the fair for the quilting on one of Jamie Moilanen’s round robin quilts.  

I also received a 2nd place ribbon at the Quilter’s Guild of Dallas 2017 Show in the Master category.  

But the most precious ribbons of all are the one’s that quilter’s have made for me after they have won a ribbon with a quilt I quilted for them.  I proudly display them in my sewing room.  

9) Have you made friendships through DMQG.  Tell us who they are, we would love to know.

This list is long and continues to grow, but here are a few.  Katrina Slovak, Ashley Leon, Cynthia Franco, Kathy Bright, Kristi Carpenter, Denise Strueber, Sarah Huechteman, Barbie Vrba, & Christina Lee.  These women are all part of my Lucky Star’s group and I thank my lucky stars I have them in my life. 

10) When you complete your quilts what becomes of them?  Give away? Keep? Sell? Show?

Actually, a little of all of the above.  A few I give away, I have sold a few, I have shown a few, and I have kept a few.  I currently have a huge stack of completed quilts that need to be re-homed because they are not receiving any love by hanging out in my living room.  However, they are hard to part with :P

11) In what room of the house do you sew? Tell us about your sewing/quilting/crafting space.

I bought my house 4 years ago with the idea that one of the rooms would be my sewing space.  In the back of my house there is what should be a Den but is my dedicated sewing/quilting space.  I have a 10 ft longarm machine in there along with a cutting table, design wall and of course my sewing table.  

12) What is your current fabric obsession (color, line, style, etc.)?

While I love everything Tula Pink, I also find I am drawn to more solid fabrics these days. 

13) Favorite quilting blogs?

Quilting is My Therapy - Angela Walters, of course 

14) Why modern quilting? As a quilt artist, what more would you like the Dallas Modern Quilt Guild to do to encourage/inspire/educate quilters?

The use of bright color and negative space appeals to me.   Plus, the idea of throwing all caution to the wind and just making what I love. truly appeals to me. 
Cadence, Keely, Me & Natalie
Cadence, Keeley, & Natalie
all wrapped in the their first quilts from me.
Natalie is wrapped in the first quilt I ever made. 

My brother John and I with his Texas quilt.
My brother is a huge lover of our great state,
 so this quilt was so appropriate to give him
My Grandmother "Nanny Mae" working at her concession stand
that she ran at the downtown Dallas Post Office
(back when this was the main P.O.)

My most precious quilt.
Made by Nanny Mae
notice the squares that are the same colors touching, I love it!

very faded label from the back of my very loved quilt
I thought this picture is so appropriate.
 Two of the Sew Kind of Wonderful quilting sisters Helen and Sherilyn
with my two quilting sisters Natalie and Cadence
 (and yes, Natalie did fix that square before it made it into her quilt)

Cadence hard at work on her most recent quilt

Cadence's quilt from Quiltcon 2015 
My ribbon wall 

"The Hare That Pricked Me" hanging at the 2017 Dallas Quilt Show
 with its 2nd place ribbon

My sweet 8yo schnauzer Sabot (silent T)

Keeley 10yo and Georgia-Kay 3yo
(she is a southern girl, so you should use both names together )
My Tula Pink & Angela Walters original quilt
"The Witching Hour"

No comments:

Post a Comment