Search This Blog

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Member Spotlight

Meet Rachel Bryan Kent

1)  Introduce yourself to us, (i.e., how long have you been quilting, do you have a day job, do you enjoy other hobbies)

Rachel Bryan Kent. I have been quilting since January 2011. It all started on a seemingly normal trip to Quilt Asylum with my mom. Prior to becoming a quilter I would hang out in the car or read or whatever…but this time I decided to get out of the car and follow my mom around the shop. I saw a table runner hanging from the wall and said “I can do that” … and the rest is history. 

Fun Fact – I’m one of the mom-daughter pair guilders… I am including an excellent glamour shot that we took circa 1993(ish).

I am one of the newlyweds in the group. Married in April 2016. I gave my bridesmaids quilts as a thank you gift. I threw a quilt retreat with DMQG members to help put together the quilt tops then Bettepat quilted all of them! It was a true team effort and they are loved and cherished in their new homes. I also made pillows with Mary Poppins quotes for the house party. 

Other interests include: Louis and London (my cats), backpacking, cycling, Zumba classes, all things cat, traveling, the color yellow, wine (the color red, or sparkling), reading (historical fictions and spy thrillers are my favorites)… 

2)  How long have you been a member of DMQG, what/who inspired you join our group, are you a member of another guild as well?  

Since December 2011; I sat next to Shannon Page at my first meeting. How far we have come! It was the Christmas ornament exchange and I of course didn’t know but someone had brought and extra so I got to play along. 

3)  Do you do social media?  if so do you have an instagram handle, or would you welcome other members to follow you on Facebook?

@rachelbawesome ; sure people can follow me! Warning – lots of cats, lots of quilts. Not much else.

4) Tell us about your favorite quilt/sewing project.

This pillow is in my living room and makes me smile always – a rare gift for myself! 

5) Do you enter quilt shows?  Have you received and ribbons?  Tell us about them. 

Two honorable mentions in Dallas Quilt Celebration. One honorable mention in State Fair of Texas. I am apparently very ‘honorable’    
6) When you complete your quilts what becomes of them?  Give away? Keep? Sell? Show?    

I am a quilt giver – it’s my love language. While truly enjoying the act of making and giving, it is also fun to work on projects that I may not otherwise work on because they are not my color, style, etc.   
7) Why modern quilting? As a quilt artist, what more would you like the Dallas Modern Quilt Guild to do to encourage/inspire/educate quilters? 

Because the rules are minimal and the retreats are my jam.



Rachel and Louis Cat
London cat with cone of shame
Rachel and husband Robert travel
Rachel and husband Robert bike
Rachel and mom Cathy glamour shots





No comments:

Post a Comment