Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Member Spotlight

Meet Suzanne Montgomery

  • Introduce yourself to us, (i.e., how long have you been quilting, do you have a day job, do you enjoy other hobbies)

My name is Suzanne Montgomery.  I started my first quilt when I had the chicken pox in third grade.  Mom wanted to keep my hands busy.  It was a 9 patch made from scraps from my mom’s sewing cabinet.  I never finished it and wonder what ever became of it.

I can’t really call my J.O.B. a day job because it sometimes lasts well into the night.  ;P  I have been  self-employed for about the last 10 years and have a bookkeeping and accounting business that caters to small business.  The only down side to being self-employed is there are no snow days and it is hard to call in sick.

  • How long have you been a member of DMQG, what/who inspired you join our group, are you a member of another guild as well?

I have been a member of DMQG since we met in the tiny room at the Bernina store in North Dallas.  I didn’t know a soul when I attended my first meeting.  I just wanted to be part of a quilting community that didn’t always “follow the rules.”  I am also a member of Quilter’s Guild of Dallas but have never been to one of their meetings.

  • Do you do social media?  if so do you have an instagram handle, or would you welcome other members to follow you on Facebook?

I am constantly on social media as that is how I keep in contact with some of my clients.  On Instagram, I am @joyfulwanderer and on Facebook, Suzanne Nelson Montgomery

  • Tell us about your favorite quilt/sewing project.

Hmmm, this is a tough one.  They are all my favorite until I move on to the next one.  My favorite part of quilting is the planning and piecing.  The quilting…not so much.  Once I started keeping track, I have completed about 96 quilts. 79 (or more) tops to be quilted and 26 projects already lined up to be pieced.  My oldest top is from the early 90s in dusty pink and seafoam green.  Remember those colors?

  • What inspires you to create?

Color and shape and a challenge to use both in new ways.  I don’t usually have a specific recipient or purpose in mind when I make a quilt.  

  • Are you a Fan girl/boy (i.e., is there a quilty person you love and enjoy stalking their work)?  Tell us about them. 

You could say I am a fan girl of the Sew Kind of Wonderful sisters.  I have every pattern they have produced.  
Also, Diane Bohn of From Blank Pages and Amy Ellis of Amy’s Creative Side.

  • Do you enter quilt shows?  Have you received and ribbons?  Tell us about them. 

I entered my first quilt show in March 2017 at the Dallas Quilt Show.  I entered two quilts and they both earned ribbons.  I received a second place on my first time entry and an honorable mention on my DMQG round robin quilt.  That was fun.  Let’s do that again!

  • Have you made friendships through DMQG.  Tell us who they are, we would love to know.
I am blessed to call several people friend that I met through DMQG.  Serving on the DMQG board and attending retreats is a wonderful way to get to know others.

  • When you complete your quilts what becomes of them?  Give away? Keep? Sell? Show?

You’re supposed to complete them???? See #4.


  • In what room of the house do you sew? Tell us about your sewing/quilting/crafting space.

There is a second living area on the back of our home that is about 20x15 that is my office/studio.  Most of the time, there are several projects in various stages all over.

  • What is your current fabric obsession (color, line, style, etc.)?

I am drawn to bold, bright, saturated colors and prints but low volumes have been coercing (I mean speaking) to me quite convincingly lately.  I am attempting to add in more low volume prints in new projects.  

I can’t pass up a well-curated precut or Fat Quarter Bundle even though I have no more space to store them.  (What, I’m supposed to make something with them?)

  • Favorite quilting blogs?

In addition to my fan girl faves, I have to add Lee Heinrich of Freshly Pieced (her patterns are so fabulous), Natalia Bonner of Piece and Quilt and Angela Walters of Quilting Is My Therapy.



  • Why modern quilting? As a quilt artist, what more would you like the Dallas Modern Quilt Guild to do to encourage/inspire/educate quilters?

Traditional quilting never has caught my attention.  I tend to like things a little off kilter, asymmetrical or askew and definitely not busy.
I feel negative space is one of the most important areas of a quilt pattern.


My husband was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer
 so we decided it was time for a photo shoot.
I have four grown kids, two daughters in love, two grandkids, and two fur babies

Kenneth, Kevan, Matthew, and Kristine
As you can see, our kids are a little goofy 
Grandkids Nathan and Allyson

Arya

Whisky
Quilters Guild of Dallas
 2nd place, First Time Entry category

Quilters Guild of Dallas
Honorable Mention Group category 







No comments:

Post a Comment