Search This Blog

Friday, March 3, 2017

Officer Spotlight

Meet Kate Park 
VP of Fundraising

Introduce yourself to us, (i.e., how long have you been quilting, do you have a day job, do you enjoy other hobbies) 

Hi! My name is Kate Park, and I have been sewing since I was 15. A neighbor was selling her sewing machine at a garage sale, and my Dad helped me get the 1950s Janome New Home (and its wooden table) home. I have been sewing ever since. I love to knit, read, travel, listen to music. Quilting is a new passion – 2015. In my day job, I am the Executive Director of Friends of the Dallas Public Library, the non-profit that raises money and awareness for the Dallas Public Library system.

How long have you been a member of DMQG, what/who inspired you join our group, are you a member of another guild as well? 

As I started becoming interested in quilting, I got on Meetup and found DMQG. I joined the DMQG in late 2015. 

What is your current board position? 

VP of Fundraising

What other roles have you had with DMQG? 

member

Do you do social media?

@francestricot - Instagram, @bonniepurl - Twitter 

if so do you have an instagram handle, or would you welcome other members to follow you on Facebook? 

Yes please! Anticipate a lot of sewing, knitting and bookish posts.

Tell us about your favorite quilt/sewing project. 

I am currently working on a project that I am calling a “Batch of Sleuths”, which a modified Elizabeth Hartman pattern with a Nancy Drew theme. I am also loving our Milky Way Sampler BOM. It is so much fun to try a new technique, and I really like foundation paper piecing! 

What inspires you to create? 

I have always loved working with yarn, beads, fabric and paper. In my working life, I sometimes work on a grant proposal or a project idea that may or may not get funded or come to fruition for over a year - if it happens at all. I love what I do for a living, but I have to admit being able to cut fabric, sew it together and create something new, functional and beautiful is so fulfilling. 

Are you a Fan girl/boy (i.e., is there a quilty person you love and enjoy stalking their work)? 

Since we hosted Carolyn Friedlander last year, I have been become a fan of her quilts and fabric. 

Do you enter quilt shows?

I have not yet, but please send good, quilty thoughts for 2018. (: 

Have you made friendships through DMQG? Tell us who they are, we would love to know.

Doris Kennedy was the first person who I met at our monthly meetings. She has, like so many of our members have, been so generous with sharing their knowledge, skills, and encouragement. I have genuinely enjoyed working with our Board. What an incredible group of inspiring women. Also, I am grateful for the friendships that I have made at Saturday Sew with Sam Simmons-Clark, and Dee Merrell. And at Handwork Monday – the mother daughter duo of Cathy and Chelsey Fields – are wonderful.   


When you complete your quilts what becomes of them?  Give away? Keep? Sell? Show?

I will admit to being a keeper. But I hope to work on some charity quilts soon… 

In what room of the house do you sew? Tell us about your sewing/quilting/crafting space. 

Having recently moved, I am fitting into a smaller space, but I have all of my books and patterns together. All of the fabric and yarn is pretty well organized. I sew at desk and am about to invest in a small table that I can use as a cutting table.

What is your current fabric obsession (color, line, style, etc.)? 

I am always drawn to blues and greens, so I am trying to work outside of those color ways. I cannot wait to see Riffle’s Alice In Wonderland line. I am a huge Liberty fabric fan. And I am loving the new Friedlander line. (Big surprise.)

Favorite quilting blogs?

Purl Bee, Gen X Quilter, She Can Quilt and Diary of a Quilter

Why modern quilting? As a quilt artist, what more would you like the Dallas Modern Quilt Guild to do to encourage/inspire/educate quilters? 

I love traditional quilts. My grandmother was a quilter, and my Dad, whom my Mom lovingly calls “Quilt Boy”, collects and preserves quilt tops and has a local quilting circle quilt them. But modern quilting speaks to my love of clean lines, and revitalizing the traditional with newness. I love modern and creative takes on traditional designs. 
  
Me and supportive of my hobbies significant other, Chris.


Meet Wuzz, who is a big fan of watching Bunny the angelfish, Cutty the plecostomus and the rest of the corner fish, who are named for characters on The Wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment