Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2017

Officer Spotlight

 Meet Kristi Carpenter 

  • Introduce yourself to us, (i.e., how long have you been quilting, do you have a day job, do you enjoy other hobbies)

I have sewn all my life and would occasionally make a baby quit but didn’t really start quilting until I moved to Texas in 2012.  That’s when I learned about rotary cutters and how to do it right.  It gave me an opportunity to share a hobby with my sister.

My day job (and frequent nights and weekends ;-) –I am an Interior Designer specializing in Healthcare design.  I design the interiors and interior architecture for hospitals, medical office buildings and clinics.

My house is my hobby.  I love old homes and have always owned homes 100+ years old so they take a lot of love and care. (AKA money pits).   Additionally I love gardening 

  • How long have you been a member of DMQG, what/who inspired you join our group, are you a member of another guild as well?

I joined in the fall of 2012.  My sister and I wanted to meet some people who shared a common interest.  

  • What is your current board position?  What other roles have you had with DMQG? 

I am currently the Treasurer.  Previously I have been the Activities Coordinator

  • Do you do social media?  if so do you have an instagram handle, or would you welcome other members to follow you on Facebook?

Though I don’t have it on my telephone (too addictive) I am on facebook and Instagram.  I don’t post a lot of pictures but love to look at posts from others to stay connected with friends in other states and to be inspired.

  • Tell us about your favorite quilt/sewing project.

I really don’t have a favorite.  I don’t make a lot of quilts so with each one I try to learn something new or try a different technique.


  • Are you a Fan girl/boy (i.e., is there a quilty person you love and enjoy stalking their work)?  Tell us about them. 

Not really I don’t really follow anyone.  I do enjoy the fabric designs of Alison Glass and Carolyn Friedlander for different reasons. I love Alison sense of color and Carolyn’s architectural aesthetic. 

  • Do you enter quilt shows?  Have you received and ribbons?  Tell us about them.
  •  
I have entered one the Dallas Quilt show , and didn’t win a ribbon but it was fun to see it on display 

  • Have you made friendships through DMQG.  Tell us who they are, we would love to know.

As a result of the DMQG I have taken some classes and it is in those classes that I have really gotten to know other members of the DMQG. Through classes and the group sew at the library I have had a chance to have extended conversations and learn about the lives and motivations of members of the DMQG.  

  • When you complete your quilts what becomes of them?  Give away? Keep? Sell? Show?

I really don’t make that many a year maybe 3 or 4 so I give them away as gifts, some are on display in my sewing room on a ladder and the rest I use.

  • In what room of the house do you sew? Tell us about your sewing/quilting/crafting space.

I have a sewing room/ office. I like it because it keeps the mess out of the rest of the house. It has lots of windows and a great view to the back yard so it is a great work space

  • What is your current fabric obsession (color, line, style, etc.)?

 Alison Glass

  • Favorite quilting blogs?

Haven’t been on a quilting blog in ages but one I enjoy is Freshly Pieced. She has had several quilt alongs and I loved those it keeps me motivated and on track. 

  • Why modern quilting? As a quilt artist, what more would you like the Dallas Modern Quilt Guild to do to encourage/inspire/educate quilters?

Modern quilting allows me to express myself more than a traditional pattern.  I love experimenting with scale, texture and color and the modern esthetic allows that to happen.  Also Modern quilting is less ridged which I like. There is no ‘wrong way’.  I am a process person. I enjoy the designing, and making the quilt.  I don’t care how long it takes because it is the process I like…the finished quilt is just  "cherry on top”



























No comments:

Post a Comment