Search This Blog

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Member Spotlight

Meet Leonor Gallegos
  • Introduce yourself to us, (i.e., how long have you been quilting, do you have a day job, do you enjoy other hobbies)

I discovered my love for quilting just two years ago and have been blown away by the creativity and beauty of the quilts I have seen at the guild. To date I have only managed to complete two quilts but have aspirations to complete three more “in permanent progress” quilts this year. 

In 2013, I had zero experience sewing but was very interested in learning. My husband who never buys gifts out of the blue surprised me with a Brother sewing machine for Valentine’s Day. It was the best gift I ever received. I instantly fell in love with sewing and making things. Soon after I discovered City Craft, The Quilt Asylum and then my passion for fabric. 

Career-wise I spent 20+ years in the Advertising industry since my degree was in Graphic Design and spent all my days using my creative energy so I didn’t have much left for hobbies. Sewing refueled my desire to create and design outside of work. I quickly came up with a plan to incorporate my new passion into an etsy business, Modern Love Fabrics, selling modern fabrics. 

I started attending Quilt Market in Houston and learning everything I could about the fabric industry. I really enjoyed meeting my favorite fabric designers and learning about their design process and what inspired them to create their fabric line. For the following 3 years my dining room was taken over by bolts of fabrics and an 8’ cutting table where I fulfilled all my orders. I recently retired my fabric business to focus on my freelance graphic design business.

My hobbies consist of going camping with my husband, Julian and my two kids Myles (5) and Maya (7), shooting photography, visiting museums and art exhibits, sewing, participating in Girl Scouts with my daughter, collecting mid-century modern objects and furnishings, playing endless board games and feasting on some good barbeque!

  • Do you do social media?  if so do you have an instagram handle, or would you welcome other members to follow you on Facebook?

You can follow me on Instagram at modernlovefabrics where I share my quilty pleasures and adventures with my family. 

  • Tell us about your favorite quilt/sewing project.

Last year, without realizing what I was getting into, I signed up to do the Carolyn Friedlander Collection Block of the Month class at Urban Spools. I don’t even think I read the class description before I signed up which stated clearly it was a 9-month needle turn applique class. I am obsessed with Carolyn Friedlander and desperately wanted to make this quilt. Imagine my shock the first day when I was told I wouldn’t need to bring my machine. Holy moly…what a fun time I had learning all the hand applique techniques, tools and tricks, plus I took the class with an awesome group of ladies from the guild. A year later I finally finished this quilt and I love it so much. I hope to be able to hang it in our home as art to be enjoyed by our family.

  • What inspires you to create? 

As a graphic designer I am fascinated with color, geometric patterns and how design elements
come together to tell a story. Modern quilting has become a new medium for me to apply my
design training and aesthetics through the use of fabric. I also dream of completing a quilt for 
myself that I can use to snuggle up with to watch tv or on a cold night. I do have a “guilty pleasure” 
for novelty prints knowing that they may not qualify as modern. ;-)

  • Are you a Fan girl/boy (i.e., is there a quilty person you love and enjoy stalking their work)?  Tell us about them.  
My all-time favorite designer is Carolyn Friedlander for obvious reasons and her amazing 
ability to design outside the box. I also love collecting Melody Miller prints from her
Kokka days, hence my fascination with vintage objects that she continues to incorporate 
into her fabric designs. My third favorite fabric designer who I love and enjoy the most in
person is Tula Pink because of her larger-than-life personality and wildly unique fabric lines.
My favorite fun fact about Tula is that she is terrified of animals but ironically makes them the 
star of all most of her fabric lines. 

You can see in the photo below my Melody Miller shrine where I love to sew on my Tula Pink Bernina 350. I have made several projects out of Melody’s early Kokka prints. Hidden inside my vintage sewing desk is my mom’s 1969 Singer that I hope to get repaired some day. 


  • What is your current fabric obsession (color, line, style, etc.)? 

My obsession is and always will be for unique Japanese fabrics. I wish I could find more of them in our area and am so grateful for Urban Spools and their commitment to making more Japanese prints available to us. I adore Bunny Designs fabric shop in Austin and wish I could visit there more often. 

  • Please share photo’s of you and some of your favorite projects, friends, family or pets.  

Carolyn Friedlander BOM
Hello Tokyo Little Traveler Bag

Rock Candy Table Topper 

Ruby Star Sewing Machine Cover 

My Sewing Nook 

Mustang Journey Bag 


The Gallegos Family 
Meet Foxy Roxy our Bichon Frise 


My M&M's Maya & Myles



No comments:

Post a Comment